Dear visitor, welcome to the Parco archeologico del Colosseo.
RULES AND RESTRICTIONS FOR SAFETY, CONSERVATION, AND DECORUM
It is strictly forbidden to:
– write on the walls or on the artefacts
– damage or remove archaeological material
– light fires
WHOEVER WRITES ON THE WALL DAMAGES DESTROYS DISPERSES DETERIORATES ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND MONUMENTAL ASSETS IN THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL PARK SHALL BE PUNISHED BY IMPRISONMENT OF 2 TO 5 YEARS AND A FINE RANGING FROM EUR 2.500 TO EUR 15.000 (art. 518 duodecies of the Penal code)
RULES OF CONDUCT
Following the natural boundaries of the ancient Palatine, Velian and Oppian Hills, and including the valley of the Forum and the Colosseum, the Parco covers a vast archaeological area which is mostly situated on uneven terrain. Many areas are accessible via historic walking paths which are often rocky, uneven and which include ancient steps that are not always level. Furthermore, the Flavian Amphitheater contains some very steep steps and paths which are at times rough and uneven.
During your visit, you are kindly requested to pay careful attention to your footing along walking paths and to observe the following rules.
- Areas closed to the public are off-limits to visitors
- No walking or loitering outside of marked walking paths
- No leaning over railings or banisters
- No running
- Appropriate footwear is advised (high heels and flip-flops are not recommended)
- Children must be supervised and held by the hand at all times
- Clothing appropriate to the formal setting of the site is required, prohibiting ceremonial dresses, masks, period costumes and any other fancy dress undignified for such places
- Visitors are asked to respect designated walking paths
- Please pay attention to the pavement along walking paths at all times
- Visitors may only follow walking paths open to the public
- Visitors are advised to exercise caution on uneven steps
- Visitors shall assume full responsability regarding choice to access those area with more difficult footing (inclined footpaths, stairways with particularly steep steps). PArCo administration therefore accepts no liability in the event of accidents or injuries.
Enjoy your visit
View of the Basilica of Maxentius from the Palatine